In the centre of excellence lies this astounding edifice of learning. Located in the heart of Lekki, the Lagos Business School was established in 1991. It is a graduate business school set up by the Pan-African University, Nigeria to offer academic, executive and short-focused programmes to graduates who wish to distinguish themselves in today’s economic environment where business and management leadership is a necessity. The institution is a member of the Association of African Business Schools (AABS) and the Global Business Schools Network (GBSN), among others.
Lagos Business School Courses and Requirements
If you desire an MBA or a post-graduate degree in Management from a top institution, this should definitely be on your list. In case you’re wondering what courses are offered and what is required of you, this guide presents you with all the information you need regarding the programmes offered and their respective requirements. First, you should know that Lagos Business School offers both academic and executive education programmes, as outlined below;
- Academic Programmes: These include the Full-time MBA, Executive MBA and the Modular Executive MBA.
- Executive Education: On the other hand, include Advanced Management Programme, Agribusiness Management Programme, Chief Executive Programme, Customized Programmes, Management Acceleration Programme, Open Seminars, and Owner Management Programme. We’ll look at the details later.
Lagos Business School: Programme Structure
The MBA programme at the Lagos Business School follows structure below;
- Brush Up: This is a preparatory module with which you’re expected to kick start your programme. It provides a foundational experience ahead of your MBA courses. You will be exposed to sessions in Business, Accounting, Mathematics, English, and Quantitative Analysis. Brief sessions are also organized on business etiquette and dress sense so that you can always comport yourself properly anywhere you are, as an ambassador of the school. It lasts for four (4) weeks in the month of September.
- Year One: This is the first year of your programme. You must ensure to take all the courses offered in the curriculum for the year. It is divided into three (3) semesters, each lasting three (3) months; October-December, January-March and April-June.
- Internship: The internship is a 3-month on-field exercise that allows you to gain exposure in the business world and apply the knowledge you must’ve learnt in your first year.
- Year Two: Here, you’re given the freedom to choose elective courses which you can take at school or at an exchange programme which the school runs with any of its strategic partners.
At the end of the programme, you can only graduate if you’re able to attain the stipulated minimum credits as distributed below;
- Core Courses: 60.5 credits
- Internship: 6 credits
- Electives: 12 credits
Lagos Business School: Departments to choose from
The school has the following department in its faculty;
- Analysis of Business Problems
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Governance
- Human Resource Management
- Management Information Systems
- Operations Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Social and Political Economy of Business
Lagos Business School MBA Admission Requirements
You may be asking yourself if you’re qualified to apply for an MBA. It is not that hard to get in. All you need to possess are as follows;
- Five (5) credit passes including English and Mathematics in O’ Level for Anglophone applicants.
- Minimum of Second Class Lower Degree from a duly recognized University.
- At least three (3) years post-qualification work experience.
- Competitive GMAT or GRE score
- Clearly demonstrated intellectual capacity, professionalism, effective decision-making, maturity, and problem-solving potentials, as will be assessed during an interview.
- Completed application form
- Three (3) reference forms (which should only be sent by the referees).
- Copies of O’level and University degree certificates (statements of results also accepted).
- Official Transcripts (should be sent directly to the school after confirmation of admission).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of NYSC Discharge Certificate or Exemption Letter (Nigerians only).
- Passport Photograph
Let’s now take a look at some of the Executive Educational Programmes available at LBS.
One unique factor about the Lagos Business School is its focus on the individual’s unique potential. The solutions to your needs are often personalized and very impactful through the custom programmes. These programmes are created to transform minds and influence people to become knowledgeable leaders, who can then go on to cause positive transformations in their organizations. With a blend of scholarly research and practical learning, the school, through its custom programmes, is poised to provide a uniquely designed experience that will broaden your horizon and expose you to new ways of doing business.
Owner Manager’s Programme
This, on the other hand, is designed for people who own and manage small and medium-scale businesses and organizations. You will find experts and counterparts, with who you can exchange experiences on key management issues so that you can return to your business better equipped with competitive skills that can help you take your business to the next level. If you’re looking for a programme that can teach you new and innovative skills to better position your business, this is it.
Senior Management Programme
The complex nature of business in Nigeria has led to organizations seeking new ways to thrive above the structural and competitive hurdles. Therefore, organizations are increasingly in need of managers who can identify, analyze and seek out appropriate solutions to problems as they arise on a daily basis. There is a growing focus on teamwork and quality leadership in large businesses and corporations, and therefore the need for senior management training. Hence, the Senior Management Programme by the Lagos Business School to meet these needs of organisations. The programme has the following schedule;
- First Run: 18 February – 13 June
- Second Run: 3 June – 26 September
- Third Run: 6 August – 28 November
- Fourth Run: 10 November 2014 – 18 April 2015 (Modular)
Advanced Management Programme:
This programme is focused on top directors and executives. These are people who are not just concerned about performing as individuals, but how to harmonize the different departments and units in the organizations they head. There is also a high level of experiential learning, as you can interact with other directors and top executives like you on challenges facing your business.
Other programmes include the Chief Executive Programme, International Management Programme, Management Acceleration Programme, Young Talents Programme, as well as Open Seminars.