The Federal Government has reiterated over the years that the National Electronic Identity Card (e-ID card) will serve as a proof of citizenship for every Nigerian above the age of 16 years.
This is why it is extremely important you enrol for yours. Typically, the card is a token given upon successful enrolment or registration into the National Identity System.
If you live in Lagos and you’re looking to register into the National Identity System then you can visit any of the centres in the state.
But first, let’s find out some of the benefits of having this National identity card?
The new national identity card: benefits of having it
Currently, the e-ID card has provisions for 13 applets out of which 5 are activated when you collect the card.
The 5 active applets include:
- Electronic Identity Information (e-ID)
This contains key information of the applicant or card holder recorded in the database such as the National Identification Number (NIN), the cardholder/applicant’s address, name and other details and it can only be read by authorised terminals
- EMV Payment
This function enables the National e-ID Card to be used as a tool for making payments for goods and services in any part of the world.
- Verification – Match-on-Card
The card has your 10 fingerprints taken at the point of registration in to the National Identity Database safely stored away on it. No unauthorised person can access them. The Match-on Card (MoC) is the most secure technology to authenticate a person
- Security – Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI)
This function facilitates secure communication between persons, users and devices.
- Travel – International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
The National e-ID Card is also a travel document and it conforms to such standards as the ICAO just like the International Passport.
The remaining 8 applets will be implemented in subsequent phases. These are:
- e-Health Application
- e-Pension Application
- e-Voting Application
- e-Taxation Application
- e-Drivers’ License Application
- e-Transport Application
- e-SIM Application
- e-Insurance Application
National Identity Card Registration Centres in Lagos
The state office where the card is usually activated is located at Plot 1b Obafemi Awolowo Way, Alausa Ikeja.
Other centres spread across Lagos include:
- Amuwo Odofin Local Govt Secretariat, 41 Road, FESTAC Town
- Ayobo Ipaja LCDA, LCDA Secretariat, Ayobo Road, Ipaja
- Badagry LGA ERC Soglo Way, Town Hall, Badagry
- Campos Square ERC Campos Mini Stadium, Lagos Island
- Epe Local Government Area Office
- Eti-Osa LGA ERC, Km 15, Lekki Epe Expressway, Igbo Efon.
- Federal Inland Revenue Service FIRS Building, 17b Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos
- GT Bank Ajah, Ilaja Bus Stop by Oando Filing Station
- GT Bank Alaba, Obosi Plaza, Obosi Bus Stop, Alaba International, Ojo LGA
- GT Bank 21/22 Catholic Mission Street, Lagos Island
- GT Bank Idimu Egbeda Road, Car Wash Bus Stop, Alimosho
- GT Bank Iju Road, 90 Iju Road, Jungle Bus Stop, Agege
- GT Bank, Ikorodu, Ayangburen Road, T.O.S. Benson Road along General Hospital, Lagos
- GT Bank Ketu, 154 Ikorodu Road, Ketu Kosofe
- GT Bank Oba Akran, 33 Oba Akran Avenue Opp. First Bank Close To Forte Oil, Ikeja
- GT Bank Masha, 145 Ogunlana Drive, Masha Roundabout, Surulere
- GT Bank Ikeja Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, beside Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja
- GT Bank ERC Ogba, Ikeja
- Ibeju-Lekki LGA ERC Local Government Secretariat HQ, Ibeju- Lekki
- Ifelodun LCDA ERC Layeni Health Centre Ojo Road by Suru Alaba Bus Stop, Ifelodun LCDA
- Igando Ikotun LCDA ERC2, Igando Ikotun LCDA, Idimu Road, Ikotun
- Ijaiye Ojokoro ERC 9/11 Bola Ahmed Tinubu Road, Ijaiye Ojokoro LCDA
- Ikeja LGA1, Obafemi Awolowo Way, Ikeja LGA,
- Ikorodu LGA Secretariat, Opp. Ikorodu General Hospital, Ebute Road, Ikorodu
- Iru LCDA ERC1-7, Muri Okunola Street, Victoria Island
- Lagos State University (LASU) Ojo MBA Block, MBA Board Room, LASU, Ojo
- Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH) Engineering Lecture Theatre Hall, Ikorodu Campus, Ikorodu
- Mushin LGA Secretariat Headquarters, 82/84 Palm Avenue, Mushin
- Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Base Sam Ethan Air Force Base, Ikeja
- Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre NAFRC, Charity Bus Stop, Oshodi NNS Quorra
- Apapa NNS (Nigerian Navy) Base, Dockyard Road, Apapa
- Ojo LGA Local Government Secretariat Headquarters, Olojo Drive, Ojo
- Orile Agege LCDA Powerline Road, Behind Health Centre, Orile, Agege
- Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Secretariat, 3, Oyetayo Street, Bolade, Oshodi
- Shomolu LGA, Shomolu Local Government Area Building, Durosimi Street, Shomolu
- Sterling Bank Headquarters, 20 Marina, Lagos Island Surulere LGA ERC Surulere LGA Secretariat, Masha Road, Onilegogoro Bustop, Surulere
- Synagogue Church of All Nations, 1, Segun Irefin, Egbe Road, Ikotun
- United Bank for Africa (UBA) Head Quarters, 57 Marina, Lagos Island
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) ERC Property Management Building, Faculty of Education, Opposite Education Hall, University of Lagos
- Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) Multipurpose Building, Yaba College Of Technology, Yaba